Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Pit Beef Grad

Baltimore is known for Pit Beef so I figured it's time I learned to master this piece of Maryland history.  Pit Beef was created as a way to make a cheap cut of beef edible.  However, Chuck isn't so cheap anymore so I settled for an upgrade to top round.
My cousin was kind enough to let me use his heirloom skewers(from my uncle the pit master) and his homemade pit.  He threw in some hardwood lump and we put the beef near the flame for radiant.  Then we played the waiting/drinking game.  I did get yelled at once for walking past the pit without checking on the meat. 

I learned a homemade baste recipe which we liberally applied whenever we turned the beef.  And voila!  A few hours later glorious Pit Beef:
I wish I had made some of my homemade white bread but hand-sandwiches worked too.

No comments:

Post a Comment